Hi, How Can We Help You?

Reply To: How long did you wait for expedited?

Reply To: How long did you wait for expedited?

Home Forums COVID-19 How long did you wait for expedited? Reply To: How long did you wait for expedited?

LongTimeWaiting
Participant

I mailed in my passport (renewal) application (expedited) on May 17th. USPS delivered it on May 18th. 36 days later on June 23rd (that’s 5 weeks and one day, but who’s counting!), the passport agency acknowledged getting it in the mail. It then was “in process.” We were supposed to get an expedited passport in 4-6 weeks (now changed to 6 weeks) and mine hadn’t even started processing for more than 5 weeks. Who knows how long this thing would have taken?!!! I talked to a passport office guy after spending at least 10 hours on hold over a few day period. No, I’m not joking. The guy told me about going online right at midnight every night (that’s when they make cancelled appointment times available to others) to try to schedule an appointment. Miraculously, after getting out of bed at 5 minutes to midnight for over a week, I was able to schedule an appointment. You probably know this, but all in person passport meetings must be within 3 days of travel, or 10 days of travel if you need a visa to travel. After scheduling the meeting, I was able to call the passport agency again (only waited for about 5 hours one day and then the next day they autocalled me back after 5 or so more hours. I gave the gal my application number and she was able to transfer my application to Seattle (where I had the appointment). I went in for my appointment on June 28th and they issued my (new, not renewed) passport the same day. If you are the recipient of a series of miracles like I was (scheduling an appointment and then also being able to get the “in process” renewal application transferred over to the office where you have the appointment), make sure you fill out a new DS11 (new passport application) and take it to your appointment (with another (passport) photo and proof of citizenship (old passport, etc.) even if you are just wanting to renew your passport. Wow, an “expedited” passport in just 6 weeks! Of course that would never have happened had I not miraculously been able to schedule an in person appointment and been able to transfer the application to the office where I had the appointment.