Hi, How Can We Help You?

How long did you wait for expedited?

How long did you wait for expedited?

Home Forums COVID-19 How long did you wait for expedited?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    missingtravel
    Participant

How long did you wait for the expedited passport to arrive in your home? And, from what milestone do you start counting the days? From when they cashed the check? Extremely frustrating as I have a trip planned on the 19th and it’s still “processing.”

nycchap
    Participant

Submitted at Post Office expedited on 5/12, with a money order. Went into processing on 5/15. Still waiting. It’s best to assume it could take up to 6 weeks. I had to cancel my ticket for early June.

missingtravel
    Participant

Thank you for sharing. I am sorry you had to move your travel. On this website they are saying just under 14 days for expedited. Not sure how they are counting.

My check I had mailed through one of the expediting services was cashed on June 2nd, and so far it’s still “processing.”

nycchap
    Participant

Yes, it’s a wonder to me how they are calculating average time of 14 days. I’ve waited 29 days so far. If the average is 14, then some people are even getting their expedited passports in 5-7 days!?

username
    Participant

The only thing that would make that timeframe make sense is if they are counting people who get a walk in appointment and get their passport in no time. If they’re doing that, I hope they stop so we can see a more realistic number.

My expiated passport arrived in their system May 18, and it still says “in progress” so 24 days and counting.

LongTimeWaiting
    Participant

I mailed in the “Expedited” application (for a passport renewal) 26 days ago and my status is not even “processing” yet. Wow! It would be nice if these people’s paychecks were related to how long it took them to process passports! I bet that would speed things up a lot. And people want to give more control over our lives to the government? Yikes!

nycchap
    Participant

I talked with a company that processes passports for a fee and they said the current wait time for expedited is one month and 3 days. Things have slowed after March, in spite of the vaccination and reopening of passport centers, not sure why.
    I missed my flights and holiday 🙁

username
    Participant

Thanks for updating, NYCCHAP. Good information. I’m sorry you missed your flights.

Anyone tracking your passport: is the website accurate? Or has anyone gotten their passport mailed to them while it still says “in process” online? I don’t know if I should bother checking.

username
    Participant

Hello everyone waiting for their passport! This forum was a big help for me, so I just wanted to wrap up my story, in case it helps others.

I just got an email notification tonight that my passport was approved and will arrive to me on Friday. (Today is Tuesday, but really late Tuesday, so it’ll be 3 actual days).

The online status said they received my stuff on May 18, so today marks exactly 4 weeks. It’ll be in hand after 4 weeks and 3 days. It was expedited.

I was worried they wouldn’t update the status or send me an email until after I got it back, but I did in fact get the email alert, and the website status has been updated to “Approved” with the expected receive date.

Good luck to everyone waiting, and searching for answers. The wait is brutal. I know I got lucky, and I hope you all do, too.

hramp
    Participant

I received the same exact email last night as well!

I sent in my passport on May 13th. It went into processing on May 18th. Approved on June 15th and will be here before or on June 18th!

dhm37md
    Participant

Good news! Paid for expedited service and mailing… sent off application on June 9th, says it started processing on June 15, now says application approved and should arrive by 7/07/21. So, from the time it mailed, it took exactly 28 days. Hope this helps!

missingtravel
    Participant

Mine started “processing” on June 1st and arrived at my house on July 1st. Exactly a month, not counting the 5 days or so before they started processing.

LongTimeWaiting
    Participant

I mailed in my passport (renewal) application (expedited) on May 17th. USPS delivered it on May 18th. 36 days later on June 23rd (that’s 5 weeks and one day, but who’s counting!), the passport agency acknowledged getting it in the mail. It then was “in process.” We were supposed to get an expedited passport in 4-6 weeks (now changed to 6 weeks) and mine hadn’t even started processing for more than 5 weeks. Who knows how long this thing would have taken?!!! I talked to a passport office guy after spending at least 10 hours on hold over a few day period. No, I’m not joking. The guy told me about going online right at midnight every night (that’s when they make cancelled appointment times available to others) to try to schedule an appointment. Miraculously, after getting out of bed at 5 minutes to midnight for over a week, I was able to schedule an appointment. You probably know this, but all in person passport meetings must be within 3 days of travel, or 10 days of travel if you need a visa to travel. After scheduling the meeting, I was able to call the passport agency again (only waited for about 5 hours one day and then the next day they autocalled me back after 5 or so more hours. I gave the gal my application number and she was able to transfer my application to Seattle (where I had the appointment). I went in for my appointment on June 28th and they issued my (new, not renewed) passport the same day. If you are the recipient of a series of miracles like I was (scheduling an appointment and then also being able to get the “in process” renewal application transferred over to the office where you have the appointment), make sure you fill out a new DS11 (new passport application) and take it to your appointment (with another (passport) photo and proof of citizenship (old passport, etc.) even if you are just wanting to renew your passport. Wow, an “expedited” passport in just 6 weeks! Of course that would never have happened had I not miraculously been able to schedule an in person appointment and been able to transfer the application to the office where I had the appointment.

dhm37md
    Participant

I take that back, mine arrived in a total of 24 days…it said it would arrive on 7/7 but actually has been sitting at front desk of condo office where I live since 7/3. Go figure!

nycchap
    Participant

Update: Applied for expedited mailing and passport on 5/12/21. Went into processing at New Hampshire on 5/15. Received inquiry asking for new photograph (by email) on 6/17. Sent new photograph by overnight mail on 6/18.
    I contacted local congressman’s office with complaint of delay on 7/8. Congressman’s office called Passport office on 7/8. Passport approved same day on 7/8. Passport received on 7/10 by overnight express.

Total it took 2 months and would have taken longer had my congressman’s office not reached out to the State Department. From what I hear, processing times are roughly double what they were in July/August 2020.

Thank you guys for your updates.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.